Monday, May 19, 2014

Didn't realize I need a BS in Chemistry to make gluten-free cookies.

Blending is apparently the “thing” in gluten-free baking. There exists an array of gluten-free flours that are best when blended together. Not all flours work well with one another, while others are the perfect complement to one another. There is arrowroot flour, almond flour, quinoa flour, sorghum flour, brown rice flour, and a bunch more. Who knew? Sometimes, I wish I did not know.

I thought that I would be all set with my 5lb impulse buy of almond flour. After purchasing this baby, I had visions of myself baking pizza dough, making bread, and perfecting my chocolate chip cookies for my son’s preschool class. Two weeks later, the bag remains unopened in my pantry.  

It is not that I don’t want to bake. It is that every time I get ready to try a gluten-free baked good recipe, I learn of one more obscure gluten-free ingredient that the recipes requires in order to be edible, like xanthum gum. 

What the hell is xanthum gum? It sounds intimidatingly scientific. I feel uncomfortable even using the word. I don’t know enough about chemistry to use xanthum gum in a sentence. Well, I am starting to. One needs xantham gum or a tapioca paste in order to help bind ingredients in order to optimize GF baking.

And, the almond flour? Well, apparently one is advised to blend almond flour with coconut flour. Why? I don’t really know. It just appears to be what people do and what people recommend.There are a myriad of ingredients – of which I am completely unfamiliar – required to bake something gluten-free from scratch, and it is a little much - for me any way. 

I love to cook, but cooking is forgiving. It is less of a science and more of an art. This how I approach cooking anyway. I can mix and match. I can improvise. I can make a meal out of 5 ingredients.  This does not appear to be an option for gluten-free baking.  Not to mention, gluten-free grocery items are also super expensive. 

I still have not baked anything from scratch because I still don’t have the basic "toolkit" of GF ingredients, which includes sorghum flour, coconut flour, and xanthum gum and some sort of yeast I have never heard of. It is actually sort of frustrating. 

I have used a variety of mixes to make GF brownies, muffins, and such. The results have been mixed. The baked goods came out “OK”, not great, but not terrible. The only thing that actually came out really well was the mixed berry muffins I made using the King Arthur Muffin Mix.

I would really like to bake something - from scratch - tonight. It is a “school night” though, so I am not sure I will have a whole lot of extra time or patience; and I certainly don’t have time to hit Whole Foods for the third time in three days.  

I’ll see what I can whip up. I was never really good at science, but I can attempt to create something out of nothing, which will be a success in and of itself.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment